Despite what that groundhog had to say, spring is right around the corner, and the Outer Banks is ready to welcome it with open arms! Enjoy your spring break on the OBX and take advantage of lots of family-friendly activities and events. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Give Back to the community on March 4, by volunteering at the ‘Spring Fling Cleanup’ at the Elizabethan Gardens. From 9am to 12pm, assist the staff and volunteers in preparing for the 2017 season! Light snacks and beverages will be provided. For additional details, call (252)473-3244 or visit elizabethangardens.org/events/spring-fling-clean-up-day-2017.
- Support the Dare Education Foundation and get ready for dazzling ball-handling tricks, high-flying slam dunks and hilarious family comedy. Join the ‘Slam Dunks for Our Schools 2017’ event, held on Sunday, March 5 from 4-6pm at the First Flight High School gym. The Harlem Ambassadors will take on our very own OBX Scallywags team. Purchase tickets in advance or at the door. For more information, contact the Dare Education Foundation at (252)255-5545 or visit dareeducationfoundation.org.
- Dance and dine at the Elizabethan Gardens’ ‘Diamonds and Denim’ event at 108 Budleigh in Manteo. On Saturday, March 4 from 6-11pm, wear your tried and true blue jeans and enjoy silent and live auctions at the Annual fundraising event, celebrating 66 years of the Elizabethan Gardens. Visit elizabethangardens.org/events/diamonds-denim-dinner-dance-2017 for more information.
- Dress up in semi-formal attire and party the night away at the 6th Annual Mardi Gras gala supporting the Children @ Play Museum on Saturday, March 4 from 7pm-12am. Held at Sanctuary Vineyards in Jarvisburg, enjoy a DJ, food provided by the Saltbox Café, a silent auction, a raffle and more! Visit childrenatplayobx.org/mardi-gras-gala for more information.
- Get a little exercise at the Running of the Leprechauns 5K and 10K in Nags Head, brought to you by Outer Banks Sporting Events and sponsored by Kelly’s Restaurant & Tavern, on Saturday, March 11 at 8am. Get a green shirt, finish medal, Irish stew and a Guinness at the post-race party! Visit runningoftheleprechauns.itsyourrace.com/register to register.
- Sit back and enjoy the 28th Annual Kelly’s Saint Patrick’s Day parade on Sunday, March 12 at 1pm. This is one of the largest Saint Patrick’s Day parades in North Carolina, and runs on the Beach Road in Nags Head. Visit kellysrestaurant.com/events/st-patricks-parade for more information.
- Enjoy some local brews and stay in the Saint Patrick’s Day spirit at the Outer Banks Brewing Station’s leprechaun themed ‘Saint Paddy’s Day Beer Mile.’ On Saturday, March 18 at 12pm, be sure to wear your holiday finest as you run a mile-long course and enjoy a 12oz beer every ¼ mile! Afterward, hang back at the backyard party and watch the costume contest for most creative! A t-shirt and souvenir glass will be provided. For additional information, visit theobxrunningcompany.com.
- Take in some great views and enjoy the first day of spring by climbing the Currituck Lighthouse free of charge on the opening day of 2017, Monday, March 20!
- Eat! Plan and purchase your tickets early for the Outer Banks Taste of the Beach, a four-day foodie festival. From tapas to barbeque to multi-course wine dinners, everything is food-drink-fun! There are over 50 events at participating restaurants, all priced and purchased separately. Design your own itinerary based on your tastes and budget. Visit obxtasteofthebeach.com for more information.
Don’t forget to start your vacation search right here at SunRealtyNC.com! We have vacation rentals large and small, and during the off-season, many can accommodate shorter stays if you can’t get away for a whole week. Call our Vacation Specialists at 888.853.7770 to ask about partial weeks.