The days are getting warmer and spring fever is setting in...why not?
Winter is over and spring is here! take an early vacation and relax on the unspoiled beaches of the Outer Banks?
True, the beach is usually top choice for summer vacations but the Outer Banks has a lot to offer any time of year - including lower rates and flexible arrival dates in the spring! Here are Sun Realty's Top 10 Reasons to vacation on the Outer Banks this spring:
1. Our beautiful beaches! The temperature is on the rise, making spring a great time to enjoy surfing, kayaking, windsurfing, collecting shells and beach glass or just playing in the sand before the crowds set in.
2. Everything is waking up from the winter. Shops, restaurants and other businesses are opening (with great off season prices!) and fantastic local attractions like The Lost Colony Outdoor Drama and the Daredevils, Outer Banks Coastal Plain League baseball team, also begin their seasons in the spring.
3. Cool nights are perfect for evening strolls and beach bonfires. The average day-time high is in the upper 60s during the spring but nights can be chilly.
4. Many will tell you that Outer Banks fishing is better in the spring. From March - May, some of the best surf fishing anywhere can be found on the shores of the OBX. And off-shore fishermen find May - June better for large tuna, mackerel, wahoo and dolphin catches.
5. Outer Banks in the spring hosts a number of annual events. Everything from Music Festivals to Bike Ralleys can be enjoyed.
6. May flowers aren't the only thing brought on by April Showers. Rain storms wash interesting finds up on the beach. Everything from whole shells to sea glass to ship wrecks can be found on the beach in the spring. And since it isn't so crowded, you don't have to be the first one up to discover them!
7. The beaches aren't the only thing less crowded, there is way less traffic on the Outer Banks. In the spring, you'll have a much shorter drive for the Currituck Lighthouse in Corolla to the Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo.
8. Local cultural events - like the Inter-tribal Pow Wow - only take place every spring. The Outer Banks is full of local history and culture all year long.
9. The spring is perfect for kite flying on the beach, at Jockey's Ridge, or in your backyard!
10. Few things are more enjoyable to a dog, than a good game of fetch. During the spring, leash laws are more relaxed in some towns and villages so you and your pet can enjoy more of the beach together!